Greyhound dog breed for racing
- Name of the breed: Greyhound dog breed
The name of this dog breed varies from place to place and the term they used in their native places. For example: In the Greek term they called this breed as Graius (which denoted the respected feature of this dog breed, means slender dog breed).
- Origin of the breed: Egypt, England (Great Britain)
Introduction about Greyhound dog breed
- 1 Introduction about Greyhound dog breed
- 2 Body Measurement and Appearance of the breed
- 3 Characteristics of Greyhound dog breed
- 4 Maintenance of Greyhound sports breed
- 5 Exercise and Training
- 6 Check the price of Greyhound dog breed near you
- 7 Summary
- 8 Conclusion
Greyhound dog breeds are one of the sport type dog breeds, they are very active and energy level pets. If those who require an active sports dog breed means, we will recommend this dog as your pet.
Now, the question arises. Whether they are good pets or not and whether they are suitable for our family or not. This is the right place to get a clear idea about this greyhound pet dog.
In this article we are explained in detail about greyhound history, body measurement, characteristics and its maintenance.
Info Bits: The unknown fact of this dog breed is it is the fastest dog breed in the world
History of Greyhound dog breed
- Greyhounds are one of the ancient time dog breeds that are usually found in European countries which first appeared here.
- This ancient dog breed is believed to be dated back 3000 years ago, ancient peoples domesticated this dog breed.
- The Greyhound breed is sculpted in the tombs of pyramids. From that we came to know that this dog originated from this Egypt. This tomb was built almost 2600 years ago.
- Later, after the 10th century AD, the number of greyhounds declined, especially due to a lot of famines in the mid years, so that may be the cause of extinction. But somehow the breeders saved some dogs and started developing again. And made strict rules for killing Greyhounds punishable, which were said by the kings those who ruled in that period.
- From the year of the 18th century all the greyhound dogs are registered in the studbooks in the private side.
- In the year of the 19th century all the greyhound dogs are registered in the studbooks in the public side.
- Greyhounds are good for hunting purposes and racing purposes. So they developed this breed especially for their speedy attack and sport.
- In the year 1885, this Greyhound breed was recognized as a breed in the American Kennel Club. After their recognition, many peoples in the United States started purchasing this dog breed especially because they used this dog breed for sports purposes only.
Body Measurement and Appearance of the breed
Greyhound dog breeds are active and energetic dog breeds, it’s very important to know about their sizes, because size will tell whether this dog breed will be suitable to your family and the appearance will make that family more comfortable to love the dog breed. Every breeder and owner should know very well about the dog breed, especially their height, weight, pregnancy duration and its litter size, life span, and the coat appearance.
Height and Weight
- The height of the male greyhound dog breeds ranges from 66 cm to 72 cm, and the female dog breed height varies from 58 cm to 66 cm. But there is no standard released for height by any of the recognized clubs.
- The weight of the male greyhound dog breed is from 28 kgs to 34 kgs, and the female dog breed weighs around 26 kgs to 30 kgs. These weights are released by the American Kennel Club.
Pregnancy duration of greyhound dog breed with Litter size
The greyhound dog breed pregnancy length is from 60 to 63 days, the maximum period is not more than 65 days. And the average litter size of the athletic dog breed is 8 puppies, and the litter size ranges from 1 to 12 puppies.
The Average lifespan of Greyhound dog breed ranges from 11 to 13 years of age. And the life span ranges from 10 to 14 years. There are a lot of greyhound dog breeds that are able to live more than 15 years of age. But those are the only reasons for their good health conditions.
Appearance of athletic greyhound dog breed
- The appearance of the greyhounds are come with narrow head, small ears, eyes are dark is their facial appearance. (in the anterior portion of the body )
- The middle part’s appearance comes with a muscular body, deep chest.
- The posterior part of the greyhound body is muscular back, tails are tapered.
This is the important part that one should see before buying this pet. Because a lot of poor breedings are there.
Coat colors and quality
- Greyhound coats are smooth and they are short in size, so it will be easy to care for them. This type of smooth coat dogs are unable to resist in cold weather conditions sometimes.
- Many of them think that Greyhound names resemble the color of the coat but exactly not, the color of the Greyhound dog breed comes with fawn, blue, white, red, and grey in color.
- Most Greyhound dogs are blue in color only, the rarest breed in this dog is grey color.
Info Bits: Greyhound dog breeds are mentioned in the Bible, this dog will be the only breed to be mentioned in the Bible.
Characteristics of Greyhound dog breed
The Characteristics feature of Greyhound dog breeds is important to see, even if they are a racing and rescue dog breed, they may be able to keep as pets or not. Using the below conditions satisfied to your home means, you can keep this dog breed as a pet breed.
- Greyhound dog breeds are adaptable to apartment living, and also require some space to stay and enjoy.
- Greyhound dog breed are very high sensitivity level dog breed,
- These dogs are only adaptable to the owners and family members, not adaptable to non voice owners.
- They are not to live alone, because they will get bored easily. Greyhounds always want to be active and playful with their family members.
- Environmental features of Greyhound dog breeds are they are able to adapt to hot weather conditions, but not adapt to cold weather conditions.
Temperament and its Behaviour
Temperament in greyhounds is always good and consistent. And the some good qualities of this dog breed are friendliness, intelligent, independent, non aggressive,
- Greyhound dog breeds are generally affectionate with family members, they love to spend time with them.
- They are not only a family friendly dog breed, but also friendly with kids and other pet friendly in nature.
- Even they are not adaptable to non voice owners, but they are friendly with strangers.
- Greyhound dogs intelligence ranked at 86th position in the world out of 138 selected dog breeds.
- They are highly intelligent and adaptive to the environment to pay obedience and attention to the owners and family peoples.
Active dog breed
- They are very independent, so they usually roam from place to place.
- Being an active dog breed, Greyhounds are used for sports purposes on those days. And this dog breed is recognized as the world’s fastest dog breed.
- They will not bark a lot, and also at the same time they are a non aggressive dog breed.
- Greyhounds barks only when they are hungry.
Greyhound dog feeding should be given twice or thrice in a day. Based on our recommendation, foods given thrice in a day are best. All the foods given to your dog breed should be inspected well and measured.
Some Important foods that can be given to your Greyhound puppies:-
- In vegetarian foods: Brown rice (preferred instead of white rice), Vegetables are cooked before given,
- Non Vegetarian foods: Meats are given based on their sizes and gender. Female dog breed requires one cup of dry and half cup of wet meat, whereas male dog breed requires one and half cups of dry and half cups of wet food. If the weight of the dog is more than 35 kg of weight it means 2 cups of dry and 2 cups of wet meat are given.
Health and care
Greyhound dogs are one of the healthiest dog breed, but this dog also lead to cause any other small issues:
According to the recent survey taken in the United Kingdom, 40% of greyhound dog breeds are prone to tooth decay. This tooth decay mostly occurred in the region of enamel. So, in order to relieve these issues it’s better to visit the dentist and proper home care should be undertaken.
And always one should take care of the dog’s dental areas, brushing teeth regularly is much needed in order to prevent tooth decay.
Digestive problems or bloat
Digestive problems are very rarely seen in Greyhound dog breeds, this occurs mainly due to
- Improper diet
- Over feeding at a time
- Drinking too much of water after a meal
- Giving immediate exercise after a meal.
Eye Problems in Greyhound dog breed are disorders of genetics. The cornea part of the dog will become dark, so it’s better to avoid to hot weather conditions.
Daily inspection is much required, so every owners should note on conditions of your pet that will be keep them healthy.
Maintenance of Greyhound sports breed
Maintaining Greyhound dog breed is an important thing for every owner and dog breeder, even if you adapted or purchased from the shops. One should know clearly about their shedding, cleaning and Grooming are the necessary maintenance categories to know.
Shedding in Greyhound dogs is limited only, the coats of this dog breed are short and smooth, so this type of coat will be easy to care for. During environmental changes shedding will occur.
Before planning for Grooming, check the dog’s coat type.
As we already saw, these dogs are short and smooth coat types and have no undercoats. From this we can know they are easily cleaned.
Most important part of grooming is their nails are cleaned and clipped and the ears are cleaned, and their bottom part should be cleaned while giving bath to your pet.
When you are using this dog breed for rescue purposes and racing purposes, the dog coat will easily become dirt. So, give a bath to your dog breed after every race and rescue.
In order to keep your greyhound dog breed free from health problems, it is very important to clean where your dog breed stays.
Cleaning the area, especially the kennel, and space provided for them, gardens usually used.
Exercise and Training
If you are purchasing Greyhound dogs for racing purposes, there will be proper training required. In case without proper training dogs are not allowed in racing tracks.
Not every greyhound’s obedience for training and exercise may different from one to one. So, start the training in the beginning stage (6 month to 12 month old).
Greyhounds normally require around 1 hour of exercise or training per day is much enough. This dog breed likes to run for a long time instead of walking.
Start the exercise in the early morning when the climate is warmer enough, don’t allow your pet to stay in very hot climatic conditions that may affect some health issues.
Info Bits: Do you know the favourite breed of the great emperor Alexander? Yes, Absolutely it’s a greyhound dog breed only.
Check the price of Greyhound dog breed near you
Greyhound dog breeds are used by many places worldwide, especially in some important places that are given below. And the price of this greyhound dog breed is $1000 to $3000.
Price of Greyhound dog breed in United States
In the year 1885, these dogs were registered in the American Kennel Club, after the beginning of the 20th century hounds were very popular in this region. The average price of this dog breed in the United States is 1500 USD to 2500 USD.
- Pet shop name: Greyhound Pets, Inc
Google Rating: 4.9 rated by 98 customers
Address : 21521 WA-9, Woodinville, WA 98072, United States
Contact Info: +1 877 468 7681
- Pet shop name: Fast Friends Greyhound Adoption
Google Rating: 4.3 rated by 103 customers
Address : 14 W Swanzey Rd, Swanzey, NH 03446, United States
Contact Info: +1 603 355 1556
Price of Greyhound dog breed in United Kingdom
In the United Kingdom on those days, these dogs are very popular and used for gaming purposes. And the average price of Greyhounds in the United Kingdom ranges from 300 to 500 euros per puppy. If you want to purchase a trained Greyhound it will cost almost 1500 euro..
Price of Greyhound dog breed in other countries
|Countries having Greyhound dog breed||Price of Greyhound dog|
|Australia||2000 Australian dollars|
|India||Rs 5,000 to Rs 10,000 /-|
|Canada||2000 Canadian dollar|
|Philippines||3500 to 6500 Philippines peso|
- Greyhound dog breeds are one of the sport type dog breeds, they are very active and energy level pets.
- Greyhounds are one of the ancient time dog breeds that are usually found in European countries which first appeared here.
- The height of the male greyhound dog breeds ranges from 66 cm to 72 cm, and the female dog breed height varies from 58 cm to 66 cm.
- The greyhound dog breed pregnancy length is from 60 to 63 days, the maximum period is not more than 65 days. And the average litter size of the athletic dog breed is 8 puppies, and the litter size ranges from 1 to 12 puppies.
- Greyhounds normally require around 1 hour of exercise or training per day is much enough. This dog breed likes to run for a long time instead of walking.
I hope everyone who reads this article is helpful, and if you have any queries related to the article, kindly contact us.
And one who is reading this article having a Greyhound dog breed means sharing your dog’s pictures and commenting on your experience with us that will be helpful to other peoples.
Frequently Asked Question
1, Which is the fastest dog breed in the world with its speed ?
Greyhound, is the world’s fastest dog breed in the world, it will run at the speed of 45mph. On those days these dog breeds are used for hunting purposes, because of its high energy level and its speed.
2, Does Greyhound dog breed name mentions the color?
No, this dog breed comes with many colors. So, the name Greyhound came from the certain beliefs among the peoples which was call previously as a gazehound (it’s mean sighthound)
3. Is Greyhound dog’s racing legal or not?
Legal, only in particular countries are allowed for dog racing, not in all places of the world. And for racing there will be certain strategies and rules in order to select the right greyhound for racing. Mostly the places are the United Kingdom, United States, Australia etc.
4. Are Greyhound dog breeds aggressive?
No, Greyhound’s are non-aggressive dogs. This dog comes with a good temperament and is very suitable for a family companion, at the same time we can use this dog for racing purposes. Some people say that this dog breed’s activity looking like a cat, they are very active and high energetic. They are friendly to non voice owners, strangers . Even though they are non aggressive, they bark some unusual times, at that time we need to check that any threats are found near or not.
5. What is the average cost of a Greyhound dog breed?
Greyhound dog breed price comes around $1500 to $2500 in USD. If you are adapting a greyhound dog breed means it’s cost will be too high. There are a lot of people who are giving professional training to greyhound’s and selling them at high cost which are moreover suitable for racing.